Chicken & Gnocchi Dumpling Soup
This week brought some C-C-C-COLD weather. After five days of below-zero temps, I was ready to hunker down and hibernate until spring. Not an option, so to thaw my bones, I whipped up some warm comfort food. This Chicken & Gnocchi Dumpling Soup hit the mark. In fact, it was so good, it’s become my new favorite.
It’s loaded with healthy veggies like carrots, celery and spinach. The “dumplings” are an easy shortcut, by way of potato gnocchi (find them in the pasta aisle, vacuum packed). Check the label, as some varieties contain milk, but most don’t. If you love gnocchi, be sure to check out the Easy Panfried Gnocchi with Bacon and Tomato recipe, too.
I just discovered Better than Bouillon Organic Roasted Chicken Base, and I used it in this soup. After searching high and low, this is the only bouillon I’ve found that’s free of allergens, not to mention MSG and other junk. (NOTE: Buy the organic roasted chicken; the regular chicken contains whey.) It definitely boosted the flavor in this recipe. My local food coop carried it, and of course, Amazon.
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 5 T. olive oil or dairy-free margarine
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 4 c. chicken broth (I used 4 c. water and 4 tsp. Better than Bouillon)
- 3 c. cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. salt (start w/ 1/8 tsp. - add more to taste)
- 1 c. non-dairy milk + 1 T. flour (I used So Delicious unsweetened coconut)
- 1 package gnocchi
- 2 heaping handfuls spinach, run a knife through to slice
- In a stock pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add celery, carrots and onions and cook until onions are translucent - about 5 min.
- Whisk in 3 T. all-purpose flour to create a roux (w/ oil and veggies). Whisk in chicken broth and boil 3-5 minutes, or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and milk, then add mixture to sauce pan and let boil for a few minutes to thicken. Add chicken and reduce to simmer to heat through.
- 10 minutes before serving, add gnocchi and spinach. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.