Wholesome Breakfast Cookies
Cookies for breakfast? Sure… as long as we’re talking about something healthy and wholesome like these Breakfast Cookies with wholesome oatmeal, pumpkin & cranberries.
They’re fruit-and-veggie-packed bits of goodness, full of pumpkin, cranberries, applesauce, bananas, coconut oil, oats and whole wheat. Plus, they’re low in sugar. I throw a few chocolate chips in too, but that’s completely optional. With or without a bit of chocolate, kids and parents love them. These breakfast cookie are a great – and easy – way to start the day.
NOTE: They’re great for the freezer, too. You can either freeze the dough or fully-baked cookies for a later date. At night, just take a few from the freezer and let them thaw on the counter for the next morning. Talk about an easy breakfast on demand. It’s one way to help simplify the hustle and bustle of a busy morning.
I bet your kids will love eating cookies for breakfast just as much as mine.
- 1 banana, mashed*
- 1/2 can pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1/4 c. coconut oil (I use unrefined)
- 1/2 c. applesauce
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c. old fashion oatmeal
- 1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. white flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 T. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 c. dried cranberries
- 1/2 c. Enjoy Life mini chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large bowl, mix mashed the banana, pumpkin, oil, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir to incorporate. (If coconut oil solidifies, pop the bowl into the preheating oven for a few minutes to warm and melt the oil.)
- In the same bowl, add dry ingredients and mix. Fold in cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Drop by spoonful onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet. (Parchment is important to prevent sticking.)
- Lightly flatten with the back of a spatula, if desired. Bake 19-21 min.
- * For banana allergy, sub 1/3 c. applesauce