My oldest turned 6 a few weeks ago. Six. How is that possible? (She’s a beautiful young lady, yet I still feel like I’m winging the whole motherhood thing! Shouldn’t I have my act more together by now?)
She is the brightest, most fun loving kid… and such a blast to be with. She always has a smile on her face and a new adventure in mind.
She’s growing up to be a foodie, too. This year she requested “vanilla and raspberry cupcakes.” I can’t imagine how she dreamed those up. Now that I think about it, maybe she was scheming for a double batch – vanilla cupcakes AND raspberry cupcakes. I’m not sure, but these Raspberry Filled Vanilla Cupcakes were what I came up with, and she loved them.
I was looking for shortcuts this time around. I used pre-packaged cake mix and frosting – with a few enhancements – and they turned out great. Here’s what I did:
- Cakes – I used Duncan Hines Vanilla Cake Mix, made “wacky” cake style, without eggs. Recipe below. Once the cakes were baked and cooked, I filled them with raspberry jam.
- Frosting – I used Duncan Hines Vanilla Icing, and thickened it with a cup of powdered sugar. Added a drop of red food coloring for a soft pink color. I piped on the frosting, bakery style.
- Topped them with a fresh raspberry.
There’s a great tutorial on filling and frosting cupcakes here. It’s so much simpler than it looks, really!
Bam, done. I didn’t time it, but the whole thing was less than an hour, hands on. Not bad, and those little cakes were adorable.
- 1 vanilla cake mix, dairy free (we use Duncan Hines)
- 2/3 c. applesauce
- 1/3 c. oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking powder + 1 T. water - mixed
- Mix all ingredients together, and bake as directed on the cake mix box, until a toothpick comes out clean.