As an allergy mom, I can’t count the number of times I’ve baked a special batch of cupcakes for my daughter to take along to birthday parties… it feels like I’m going on about a hundred batches. How about you?
When I discovered this 2-ingredient recipe? BOOM – I was SOLD! I love it, and I think you will too, for three reasons:
1. It’s easy (just 2 ingredients!)
2. It’s healthy with a hidden veggie (thanks to a mystery ingredient you’ll never taste!)
3. It makes deliciously, moist decadent cakes.
The 2 ingredients are… drum roll… cake mix and canned pumpkin. Yes, canned pumpkin! Don’t worry, the pumpkin is completely undetectable, so it’s a great way to disguise a small veggie serving.
The frosting here looks like fancy buttercream, but it’s really just store bought chocolate frosting (most kinds are allergy friendly, but check your labels) with a little powdered sugar and cocoa added to thicken it up. With these tricks, it will only taste (and look) like you spend the afternoon in the kitchen. You can have these done in less than hour – tops.
Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen until it’s time for the next party. Make a whole batch and freeze them, unfrosted. Take them out one at a time as needed, frozen cupcakes thaw quickly, in about an hour.
- 1 allergy-friendly cake mix (We use Duncan Hines - it's dairy, egg and soy free)
- 1 can pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 jar allergy friendly frosting (we use Duncan Hines)
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 1 T. cocoa
- Preheat oven as directed on the cake mix box.
- Mix cake mix and pumpkin until incorporated. (You’ll know it’s ready when it’s a deliciously-fudgey, mud-like consistency.)
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners, and lightly spray the liners with coconut oil. Divide batter evenly, and bake as directed.
- FOR THE FROSTING: Mix ingredients together. Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- This batter doesn’t set nicely and rise uniformly by itself. Rather, it bakes in the same shape as the batter that goes into the oven. To avoid rough, “spiky” topped cupcakes, use the back of a spoon in a circular motion to gently smooth out each cupcake.
- My cupcakes take the full time or even a few more minutes than the box directs.